Once we passed over the Juan De Fuca Strait though, the view became socked in and I decided to learn about my new camera. After a bit of tinkering I got too sleepy and nodded off for a wee nap. When I woke up, we were landing in the fog of Juneau. I was instantly happy that I had brought my jacket on the plane with me and packed my wool socks. It may be summer in Washington, but it definitely feels like fall/early winter here. Nippy and wet.
I met Hannah outside at her car and we exchanged hugs and smiles (Hashi, I delivered your hug straight away!). Today was just a chill day. I became acquainted with the area around Hannah's house, we stopped at the store to get a few things, and we met her dad at the local dive shop so that they could get dry suits and scuba gear for the long weekend. I have a room all to myself with a bed and places for me to put my things. I'm excited to get settled into my new, temporary home.
Here is what I have observed so far:
I was the ONLY person in the airport wearing sandals (even outdoorsy ones like my Chacos), people wear these rain boot things called X-Tra Tuff boots, AKA Sitka Slippers. They're surprisingly popular for only coming in a single color; brown.
It is cold and wet. I'm just going to have to accept that I will not be seeing summer weather until next year.
They have a Costco, at least two movie theaters, and even a Planned Parenthood but no REI... Personally, I'm very surprised.
Starbucks is scarce here. There are only a few located inside of grocery stores, but no free standing ones. Here in Juneau a coffee company called Heritage Coffee Co. dominates.
If it weren't so cold there would be WONDERFUL skimboarding out in Gastineau Channel when it's low tide.
Some people have really crap cars because once they register their car, they're good to go. They don't have emissions test or anything like that, so if they want to drive something from 1956 then they will until it literally falls apart.
Thats about all for now. I'm sleepy and need to catch up on some much needed rest. Goodnight Alaska, sleep happy.


No comments:
Post a Comment