Friday, September 10, 2010

Skagway

Tuesday.
 Hannah and I ran some errands downtown and then went out to the ferry dock and bought our tickets to Skagway, AK. Round trip it was one hundo moneys but totally worth the skrilla. When we got on the boat we headed directly up to the top deck and grabbed some lawn chairs. It was SUCH a beautiful day! We got so hot laying up there waiting for the boat to leave. I went from wearing soccer pants, wool socks, shoes, a tank top, shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket to my shorts, tank top and bare feet really fast! I even got some new tan lines from my Chacos while I was wearing them. When the ferry started, we relaxed in the sun taking photos of the view, whales, glaciers, and even some mountain goats way off in the distance. Our ride was about seven hours so we also had plenty of time to read, nap, and watch Skins on my laptop once it got dark out.

















[Three humpback whales.]


[We had a beautiful sunset.]


When we got to Skagway around 10:30pm Sayre picked us up and took us back up to her aunt and uncles house above the town. We met their dog, Norwegian exchange student and her cousin. Then after a couple of hours of catching up, we went to bed. 

Wednesday.
In the morning, Sayre had to head to work so later Hannah and I rode bikes down the hill and into town. After wandering around the shops for a bit, we went into the helicopter company that Sayre works at and got set up for a flight. Strapped into glacier boots and bright orange vests, we loaded into the heli with the pilot and old people (cruise goers of course). This one lady in front of me didn't want to wear her head phones all the way up on her head because it would ruin her perm. Haha so she just held them up to her head like she was a DJ. I had a good laugh! The ride was beautiful. We were in a group of three other helicopters with us being the last in a line flying along the mountain sides. It almost looked like we were going into some sort of combat zone.
















[Sayre being a badass at work!]































[I LOVE GLACIERS.]

Once we landed on the Meade glacier we wandered around with all of the old people and the three glacier guides that were up there (Sayre says they work 12 hour days on the glacier WOW). It was cold and I was wicked happy I wore lots of layers. While we were up there we looked in several large crevasses, hopped some streams, and I even got my brother a neat glacier rock for his collection. I also decided I wanted a nice taste of Alaskan water, so I drink some straight from a stream :) It was veryyy cold haha.


[For every foot of glacial ice, it took one hundred feet of snow to create.]


[Drinking glacier water!] 

When we got back to town, Hannah and I explored some more in the shops and then met up with Sayre for a Thai dinner after she got off of work. It was yummy and it was wonderful hanging out with Sayre again! We three could not stop talking about moving back to Bellingham since we're all living together and can NOT wait! Yeeee!
















[Skagway is a very cute little town. Its four blocks wide and twenty two blocks long. Thats it.]

Later that night we hiked out to this point on the water, had a bonfire with some Skagway locals and watched the cruise ships leave. It was fun meeting some of the people that live here that are around our age. They're very Alaska in style haha.

















Thursday.
Early this next morning Sayre dropped Hannah and I off at the ferry dock so that we could catch the 7am. The whole trip back we sat inside (it was raining) and watched Skins or ate our Thai leftovers. When we got back I took shower and a nap then got up just in time for dinner. Today was the most lazy day we've had so far. I think I kinda needed it though because we've been kinda go go go and I just needed a day to pause, think, breathe, rest, and zone out for a bit.

Thats all for now, i'll post tomorrow about the day's adventures. Wherever you're reading from, I hope that you're enjoying your last bits of Summer (if thats the case) or first bits of Fall...or in Anna's case, her last pieces of Winter. Don't forget to smile and laugh...even if its only at stupid things...like tripping on yourself multiple times in a row.

Peace and Love.


(Gobble)

No comments: