Monday, September 6, 2010

Double kayak all the wayyy!

Today was INTENSE! Hannah's family and I all got up early and layered up. We packed up the cars and headed out to a nice little cove to launch our kayaks. Hannah's parents got in the double kayak and Hannah and I each got into singles. A little while after we launched off, we were bobbing like four bobby things on bobberson's day. As we crossed the channel to Benjamin Island the waves swooshed us on our right sides, hence the bobbing. Not too far away from us a Humpback whale breached. This is definitely a cool site when you're on the same level as them. Once we got to the northern end of the island we moved into a more intense tidal area and as we turned to head down the back side of the island the wind started coming from behind us and began propelling us forward. This was probably my most favorite part of the day. If you caught the waves just right, you could surf them and get a nice boost. Since I haven't gone surfing in the last two years, this was exactly what I needed. However, now I just miss surfing even more. I may need to head to the coast soon to get in some waves. A bit later we saw a grey harbor seal watching us from the water :)
















Eventually we got to calmer water on the Southern side of the island and were able to beach ourselves to get in some lunch. While were on the island we found some bones in a pile. From what I can tell they were from a carnivore of some sort. I grabbed four vertebra to bring home for further inspection.

We left the island and headed up the front side of the island to start to head back to our launch point and the cars. This however turned into quite the struggle. The wind was blowing us hard, pushing us backwards. We were also fighting six foot swells with white caps. It was crazy intense! Not only were we making slow leeway , but every once and a while a wave would come smashing over the bow and right into our faces or over us. After lots of work we eventually made it back across the canal and to somewhere where we could get out of the water safely. I have to say, I was VERY excited to have my feet on something that wasn't moving. Over all though, I had a blast kayaking on this beautiful day. I'm also pretty sure that I will get up in the morning and not be able to move my arms haha.

We met a very very cute boxer puppy at the docks. I seriously couldn't handle her adorableness. She was soooo squishy and wiggly!































Hannah also got in some good puddle smashing!


We all went out to dinner at this yummy pizza place out on Douglas Island. We definitely all earned that good pizza. It was sooo good.

As the sun was going down, we headed to the Mendenhall Glacier to have a looksie. It was really cool! I will be hiking there on Friday, so no worries, there will be more photos of that.
















Hannah and I are getting on a six hour ferry tomorrow to go up to Skagway were Sayre works at a helicopter company. We will get there late and camp somewhere. Then on Wednesday we will be going heli-glaciering. Then early Thursday morning we take another long ferry back to Juneau. I will update the blog sometime around then. So for now, peace and love.

No comments: