So yesterday and today were both just kinda chill last days here in AK. We didn't go climbing on glaciers or on some wicked hike, we just took it easy, ran some errands, and did a couple mini adventures.
Sunday. (yesterday)
We slept in and relaxed in the morning. Hannah did some packing for school and I just hung around. Then we went down into town to get some stuff done. While we were driving we passed this old dock COVERED in seagulls! I made her stop so that I could get some photos. While I was walking to the head of the dock, this guy that was like 50 years old, wearing a suit, dress shoes, and with a briefcase slung over his shoulder whizzed past me on his razor scooter... I couldn't help but laugh and take a photo. Sadly though, it turned out blurry. When I got to the dock I just had to shimmy through a locked fence and then I was in a wonderland of birds!
We also went down to one of the many marinas here in Juneau. One, because I LOVE looking at boats. Mainly to read their names and see where they sailed here from, but I also find harbors to be pretty places. Two, Hannah needed to see if someone she worked for this summer was home on his boat.
[I especially liked the name of this one]
Then we went downtown and found the local Pel'Meni here! Yes that's right, there is a Russian dumpling place here in Juneau, just like in Bellingham! The guy who started the "chain" made the one here in Juneau first, then the Bham one, then one in Madison, Wisconsin. Random right? At some point the WI one closed so now there are only the twin locations in WA and AK. I was curious to compare ours with the one here. Here is what I thought:
Our location is better...a college town right across the street from the bars. How could it be better?
Both locations stay open super late at night.
The building that ours is in is cooler I think. Plus we have that ridiculously big bathroom! This one was in a smaller space in a sort of mini wharf mall.
Ours is cleaner...this one looked a little sketch.
I like the people that work at ours...but that might just be because I'm kinda into the Bham localism. Don't get me wrong, the guy who served us was very nice. I just like our lovely dump makers!
They give you a different kind of bread here. It was just a half slice of some bagged bread, whereas ours seems like a more unique bread.
Unlike Bham, the dumps are served in Styrofoam here instead of a more environmentally conscious container.
Over all I think our food is better prepared. The ones I got here weren't really very hot when they were served to us. I normally burn my tongue trying to eat them as soon as I get them.
I was happy to see that both locations have record players!
The guy who made the dumps asked us if we had ever put honey on them. As far as I know, we don't have the honey in Bham. I tried it. It was odd but good. However, I'll probably just keep eating my dumplings the way I like them.
On the way home, we stopped at the West side of the Mendenhall glacier again to run about and play in the water a bit. We found a bunch of dead salmon, found two beaver dams, walked barefoot in the wicked cold glacier lake and collected mini icebergs.
When we got back home we had a nice dinner and Hannah's dad started a bonfire. We hung out in the backyard for awhile but eventually went in to watch "Valentine's Day" and "She's Out of My League." At one point we went out onto the deck and the sky was clear so we could see amazing stars!
Monday. (today)
Today was super chill. We got up and had a pancake breaky and headed downtown. I bought some stuff at a small antique store, went back to the tshirt store and got a sticker, we got more bagels, and went to a couple of other shops. Then we headed out to Tee Harbor to go find some boulders in the woods. After we hiked up a small hill we found lots of rocks to play on. We hung out there for awhile climbing, enjoying the sun, and talking. After, we went to Auke Bay to get rootbeer floats and milkshakes at a local burger joint. We did some more shopping/wandering then came back home for dinner and packing.
I am now laying in bed with all of my things packed (minus some toiletries). Tomorrow I get up at 5:15am to get ready to head to the airport and leave Alaska. I am quite excited to get back to Bham and start a fresh, new year in my new house. I have completely loved my time here in AK, but thirteen days is a long time and I am excited to return to my normal life. I feel the need to organize, sort my life out, make a new nest in my new room (with a view!!!), snuggle my Moose and Georgia, see my family, do some yoga, and see my friends.
But like I said, I have to get up super early, so this is me signing out of my Alaskan adventures. I feel less like I was on vacation here, but rather that I have lived here for part of my life. This place will always own a piece of my heart and I am excited to returning someday for more fun. Thank you for reading.
Goodnight Alaska
Goodnight Moon
Peace and Love
No comments:
Post a Comment