Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some thoughts about my city


So last Saturday my day hadn't started super well... getting in a silent argument with someone you love is not the most healthy way to start a day. Anyways after getting that slightly sorted out I left my house on Sunday morning to take the bus down to the waterfront to sit at my favorite Bellingham cafe and get some homework done. I had opened my door to a beautiful, sunny, crisp day.
        As I walked down my street I was thinking how nice it would be to have a dog to walk down to the park. I really miss the companionship that I get from my dog, and I felt the sudden need to have a furry walking partner. As I turned the corner, I saw ahead of me two women and their dogs sniffing each other. The smaller dog on a leash, the bigger one leashless. As I pass them, the big dog comes to my side and without ever really looking at me, strides along my side for about 2 and a half blocks. This brought the biggest smile to my face and I suddenly felt perfectly content. The owner following behind at a slower pace seemed to see my bond with the dog and allowed him to continue at my faster pace by my side until our paths parted and I headed downtown.
       When I got to the bus station downtown I was the first one on the bus, but quickly joined by a barefoot young father and daughter pair. While the father put his bike on the rack in front of the bus, the little blonde girl hops up into the bus and crawls atop the highest seats and sits there across from me smiling and cross-legged. I gave her a small smile back, but kept listening to the music streaming into my ears. After the father gets on the bus, he joins his daughter in sitting cross-legged and bare toed. After the bus starts to move through downtown, he says, "okay, let me continue telling you about the seasons." He proceeds to tell her about the differences of the four seasons and the scientific reasons for how they change. Along the ride he asks her simple questions like, "so if winter is the season that we're in now, what season is next? How will the weather and plants change?" I paused my music in order to hear what he was teaching her and to hear the girls answers. He then started comparing their current lifestyle with that of people from hunter and gather societies and she seemed to follow the lesson just fine. All while they talked the dad picked up his daughters feet one by one to message each inch of them, taking special care with her toes.
       When I got off the bus I walked through some trees down a dirt trail in my new sandals feeling them grip the soil without a problem. As I walked along the waterfront there were many people playing fetch with their dogs, longboarding, running, and taking their babies out for a stroll. It was an ideal almost spring feeling day. When I got to the cafe there was a very cute Golden Retriever sitting patiently outside wearing a knit hat tied under his chin. Not understanding why a dog would need a cap like that, I smiled and figured Hey its Bellingham! I proceeded to find myself a table outside in the sun, ordered a muffin, and snuggled down with my chemistry book.
       This day was the perfect example of why I love Bellingham. A father teaching his daughter about how the world works from a scientific point of view while both have happy bare toes. Also teaching her about the animal's and plant's point of view of the seasons. A woman who allows her dog to walk with strangers when she can sense the person's need for canine companionship. A dog completely happy wearing a little hat on its head and it being completely normal. The sun shining and inviting you to come out and play. Being able to get away from the city so easily. I love Bellingham and the fact that it will always be special to me now. People here are so grounded in the Earth, in themselves, and nature. Things that seem completely "hippy" in other cities are just normal here. The sun rises, the sun sets.

This last week, Jane's family's puppy came up to stay with us for four days and I ended up watching the little bugger while the girls would go to the bars or elsewhere. He'd play in my room or fall asleep while I studied. He was nice to have around even if he did poop in the kitchen....where I stepped in it. Here he is sleeping in my pillows while I studied for ecology one night:


So thats what I've been up to. Life has been very stressful with chem, ecology, and calculus all nagging at me along with lacrosse, sleep, and relationships. Hopefully after my midterms next week I can take a breather, maybe do some hot yoga, relax and catch up on sleep. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now here is a good video to give you a good ab work out! Video finding credit goes out to Schu.

2 comments:

Ali Jensen said...

Don't forget about Tacoma. We all feel attached to our current cities (QUITO FOR LIFE), but we gotta remember where we came from.

It sounds like you're sort of going through the sophomore slump. Last year, I seriously struggled with life and it was difficult to get out, but I managed and I'm stoked again.
LOVE AND MISS YOU!
Ali

samantha michele said...

next time you do hot yoga, call me.