Soon we took a 4 hour bus to the border and crossed into Malaysia in rain. Turns out there was a tropical storm on the way. We planned on only staying on mainland in Khula Besut, Malaysia of one night, but the storm postponed our departure to Pulau ("island" in Malay) Perhentian another night. Our teachers were quick to adapt and changed our plans so that we ended up visiting a fishing pier and wood carving school nearby. There, we got to see how locals make a way of life. In both places, we got lots of stares and smiles because travelers don't generally go to those types of places. They were equally as fascinated by us as we were by them.
The speed boat ride to Pulau Perhentian was epic. The driver could hardly see through the rain and the swells were huge! All I can say is I was very surprised that we were bombing at the speeds that we were because we were literally launching off of the waves! It was nice to make it to land when we got to our island. To our surprise we checked into a really nice resort instead of janky bungalows. So for the next 5 days or so, at least we were able to wait out the storm in some style. The Perhentians are well known for their crystal clear waters, sharks, turtles, and beautiful beaches. However, due to all of the rain, the water became clouded from particulate runoff from the land and stratification. Stratification happens when the denser salt water sinks and less dense fresh water (from runoff and rain) sits on top of it. This makes it harder to see down through the water layers. The freshwater layer was about 2 and half feet deep in places! That's a lot of rain! Regardless, we tried to go out and see things. Mostly we couldn't but we enjoyed getting outside and swimming in the rain. Being from the Pacific Northwest, warm rain is a treat!
Eventually the rains stopped and the skies began to clear. Of course, we were all stoked since we'd been a bit cooped up! Some of us found an old surfboard that a restaurant was using for a menu and went surfing. Let me tell you, menus don't make the best surfboards when you haven't been able to surf in three years haha but boy did we love playing! On the same day, I found a granite boulder with a perfect size 2 Black Diamond hand crack running up it. So I got to go crack climbing AND surfing all in the same day! The stoke was high! Also, I swam with my first two black tipped reef sharks and turtles on this day too! For the next couple of days, the snorkeling and water slowly improved. Sadly, on the day we had to leave, the water was at it's best but it was time for us to go.
From here, the last couple days of our Wildlands program passed quickly. We went back to the mainland, crossed into Thailand (given a 15 day entry visa), bused to Hat Yai, studied, finished our research papers, compiled our group data, did presentations, and took our final. For Sierra, Nick, and I this was our last undergraduate college final! After the final we all went out for our last night together, danced, played pool, and partied with a random bunch of locals.
Now the program is over and people have dispersed. Some to meet family and travel SE Asia with them, Sierra to meet her boyfriend (I'll be meeting up with them in April), Nick to head home to CA, and the rest to travel together around Phucket then to Cambodia. Me, I needed a new visa so that I could stay in Thailand for the next six weeks. So it was off to Malaysia for me!
Oh man. We found a legit salad bar in a health food type store
yummy fish and garlic frog in the back at a local Chinese restaurant
On to Malaysia!
Tok Bali fishing pier
Fishermen
A beautiful wood working school
Sierra kicking this guys butt at Mancala
Our typical breakfast in Kuala Besut, Malaysia - Banana, egg, and cheese Roti Canai with curries, fresh fruit, and tea
Sierra, Alex, and I shared this wonderful home on Pulau (island) Perhentian
Nikki's presentation on sen lines and traditional Thai message
Brittany working on some message techniques
Skimboarding
Braving the storm and riding some big swells on the way to Pulau Perhentian
Please notice the lady with the cat on the gnarly boat ride. It was terrified, but he had to get back home to his island somehow after going to the vet on the mainland
The whiteboard and I made it to the island finally.
Fungia coral feeding
Sea turtle
A very large cushion star and Catherine
In the back of the boat, Sierra and I had to wear our goggles to protect our eyes from the rain and ocean spray
creep
making the best of the storm
Lecture resort style
The view from our resort
Making travel plans isn't bad. Banana Snickers milkshakes mmmm
Jump from the lighthouse. Storm clouds looming
I swam alone with this Black Tipped Reef Shark. It was definitely longer than I. Because of the murky water, I didn't see it until I was about 6 feet from it! Such a beautiful moment.
Symbiosis
Finally the sun came out for a second and this is what everyone did. Haha a second later, it went away behind a cloud again.
A giant Green Sea Turtle grazing on grass
Finally blue skies and waves worth playing in. Sarah giving the waxless, finless, menu short board a go.
Splash. Yours truly catching a ride
This photo is for our mothers! Sarah and I know that both of our moms like to check my blog a lot. So Moms, we love you and thanks for the support and love! We took this for you!
Sarah and Jen enjoying some personal time before pre-dinner lecture
"The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." -Isak Dinesen
Peter and I made a fish family. Due to the storm there was a lot of wood and debris floating on the surface of the water. These little guys stay underneath floating stuff for protection. They also enjoyed hanging out with us. We played with them for about 40 minutes completely oblivious to the sharks that were most likely swimming below us. We felt like we were babysitting these guys or something. When it was time for us to go, they followed us until we found them a new stick to swim under. I loved them!
They're plaid!
A colorful Parrot fish - they eat coral and poop it out into wonderfully fine white sand
A very large Trigger fish.Check out those teeth! Please note, the other fish in this photo are at least as big as my hand or bigger. The trigger fish is HUGE!
Enjoying some free time
Marg
Gus killin' it harmonica rapping at our talent show!
Travel day. Back to Thailand
Odd but good: Soy milk chilled in a can
My friends are creeps... poor C. Carp
Celebrating after our final exam and having fun on our last night together
Nina and I: brown and blue
Sarah the goon
Nikki and I
The live band
Sierra and I about to get some nice traditional Thai message to celebrate our finished college degrees. We are just waiting on March 23rd to officially become Huxley College graduates!
Shabu Shabu + Shushi = Shabushi. My new favorite all you can eat restaurant!
Alex and I went to get me new visa photos and met this little guy. Such a cutie!
Cheers to 4.5 years in college!

























































1 comment:
I love your pics. Such a nice variety, and the food shots make me hungry. I am really looking forward to when you have time to put up pics of Chiang Mai. Thanks for the "for the moms" shot. We're not creepin', we just love you and are eager to see what fun and experiences you're having, and that you're okay, 'cause you're a very long ways away. And 'cause we're moms.
Post a Comment