I've been trying out some new gear on this trip so far and I figured that I should share the knowledge. Normally at home I've got some friends that like to ask me about the gear and things that I use while they're in the market for similar items (ahem Sherrow family haha). Based on the fact that we all seem to have the same gear now, I would say I do a pretty good job of researching, buying, using, and comparing usually. So here is a review of a couple of items that I've brought with me to SE Asia:
THE WATER PURIFIER:
I use a SteriPEN Adventurer UV light water sterilizer. So far it has been great and has greatly reduced the amount of bottled water that I've had to buy. This is good on the oceans (that I've seen a LOT of plastic floating in) and also nice on my traveler's/ fresh out of college student budget. This particular model is a bit smaller than some of their others and also doubles as a flashlight if you're in a bind. You can either sterilize a half liter or whole liter at a time. I recommend using it with a wide-mouthed Nalgene bottle because it is easier to swirl it around. Another feature that I like is that if the battery isn't quite dead yet but doesn't have enough juice to properly purify your water, it won't even try. That way you don't have to worry about half cleaned water. Overall I'm a fan so far. I'm excited to test if with streams back home instead of taps here.
SteriPEN Adventurer Opti (Photo from Google)
THE KNICKERS:
Okay for years and years I've been buying my brother and boyfriends ExOfficio boxers and boxer briefs. They always raved about them and said that they were the best, and probably their favorite boxers. They're a bit expensive so I've never bothered to buy myself a pair until I left on this trip. They are AWESOME! I will most definitely be adding a couple more pairs to my arsenal for future travel and dirt-bagging. Whenever I shower, I just quickly wash them too and they are dry and ready to go within ten or less hours (note: things dry quicker here than the northwest). They pack down really small, come in decent colors and cuts, and are super comfortable. Plus, my black ones pretty much look like a swimsuit and work well if you're just too excited to change into a real swimsuit before jumping in the ocean! Also, if you're about to fly somewhere and decide you want a pair, you're in luck because SeaTac Airport has an ExOfficio store. This Seattle based brand is doing good things for the dirtbag lifestyle and your bum.

ExOfficio womens-give-n-go bikini (Photo from REI)
THE TECHNOLOGY:
To make blog posts, backup my photographs, make travel plans, look up train times, do research for class, find guesthouses, and make plans with the various people that I'm meeting up with I've been using a 32GB iPad. Lucky for me I've got some pretty incredible friends out there and one of them sponsored this to me ("sponsor" is a term I use for "borrow"). Coop, I cannot be thankful enough! It has made it so possible for me to travel more smoothy and post my photos to the world. Most of all I love that it is a place for me to back up all of my photographs. On my last international trip, I lost about 500 photos in London and it killed me. I'm very much attached to imagery and visual memories so I'm glad to be able to store them multiple places. As far as space goes, I've left all music off of the iPad except for one album, kept the apps to a minimum and am saving as much of the 32GB for photos. So far this has worked out well and I think I'll make it home with just enough space to fit them all. I take a lot of photos, so I think that it's pretty impressive so far! Also, I've found that it has been a wonderful tool for connecting to my family and friends. It also lightens my load because i can use my library account to rent books and read them on here instead of carrying around a bunch of books. Honestly, travel is definitely possible without a computer of sorts, but man it sure makes things better these days! Some apps that i've been liking are:
-Skype- free calling, video chat, and messaging
-iMessage- easy and free messaging between apple products
-Maps- I recently figured out that even when i'm out of wifi, it is able to track and tell me where i am on a preloaded map! So nice for finding places in the city.
-Padgram- the iPad version of Instagram or "Hipstervison". Basically my way of knowing how much it is snowing around the different places where my friends live. My winter fix. Also, the first place that I post my photos and what I've been doing.
-Viber- turns my iPad and iPod touch into a free phone. Calls, video chat, and texting.
-Snapchat- a new app that I've been trying out. Basically you can send friends videos or pictures that they can only view once. Pretty fun.
-Kik- another texting app
-Dropbox- for all of my important document copies and saving school work
-Blogger- allows me to blog!
-Plus I keep a currency exchanger around, even though I don't really need it much anymore.
THE KICKS:
Chacos. That's all I have to say.
Well actually I'll just add that i've had these same ones going on five years now and they have never once failed me. I'm either in my Chacos or barefoot. My other shoes have been severely neglected on this trip. Urban trekking, farming, trail running, river tromping, dancing; they're all you need. I recommend looking at a local used gear store if you're interested in getting some. You can find really cool old school ones and send them to the company to get them resoled, restrapped, or you can rock them how they are (which will probably be good shape). Sometimes they can get a little stinky, but I just give mine a scrub down with a toothbrush and some Doctor Bronner's Soap. Once you get the straps adjusted right on these bad boys, they'll be loyal to you for years! Plus, you can join the Z-Tan crew: http://climbersfestival.org/chaco-tan-line-photo-contest/



No comments:
Post a Comment