Last month, Courtney a girl from my program, came to join me for some fun in Chiang Mai for a couple days before she had to fly home. Again I'll let the photos do most of the talking. But we had a great time dancing, biking, going to the zoo, and adventuring to waterfalls. We were even able to meet up with our professor Chris and his wife for dinner one night at a wonderful organic restaurant. There, I got my last graded college final exam handed back to me in person! I got great grades and had fun too! My classmates and I learned of a word in the Thai language that means play/learn. เพลิน = learn through play essentially. I think that this one word completely exemplifies my experience here thus far.
After Chiang Mai, we took an overnight bus to Bangkok so that Courtney could fly home to California and I could wait for the arrival of my friends from home, Hannah and Nika. While, I was on this bus surrounded by sleeping Thais, my graduation ceremony was commencing at home in the PNW! Woo!
Look for another update of phase 3 of my trip soon!
Courtney and I's beds in the jankiest guesthouse ever. Luckily we only stayed here for a night. I called it the Thai ghetto.
Before Courtney arrived to meet me in Chiang Mai I was sitting in the common area of said guesthouse writing a postcard at that purple table. Out of nowhere this little tattoo shop was set up next to me and before I knew it, I had a front row seat to watch a Canadian get a tiger tattoo and Thai script on his shoulder. I asked what the significance was and he replied "I went to Tiger Kingdom (where you can pet tigers etc.) yesterday and I thought that it was really cool" ..... Not exactly my ideal reason to get a tattoo with foreign unknown writing and significance... but whatever floats your boat...or maple leaf.
This super rad thrift shop in town has a ton of awesome old school backpacks!
One of my favorite places to go at night. This is the North Gate Jazz Co-op. On Tuesday nights they have open mic and musicians from all over the world come together and jam. Very awesome!
Yay we went clubbing!
Chiang Mai has a nice little climbing shop and climbing wall. It may be small, but the community here is big.
Little lion dog
This lady is wonderful! I go to her every morning to get my daily breakfast smoothie. Check out the size of those avocados!
To the Chiang Mai Zoo!
Dinosaur...
You can even find 7-Eleven in the zoo!
Hungry hungry hippos
We hung out with this lovely creature for probably an hour watching her dance, eat, and smell us.
Waterfalls
I got too hot
This is the first Toyota Camry I've found here that is the same color and year as mine! Stoked!
Hammocking on the Chiang Mai University campus
After dinner with our professor Chris and Ting Ting!
I love this little guy. He belongs to a lady that runs one of my favorite restaurants here in town. I've come back at least five times for the food and puppy play dates. Her other, older dog isn't pictured.
Courtney and I did a Thai cooking class. Overall we made six seperate dishes. This was halfway through during our break. Courtney is already rocking the food baby!
Okay....
Courtney making spring rolls
Me chopping red peppers for my panang curry paste
Gotta taste it!
Brown rice, panang curry, and stir fried veggies all made by yours truely. SO YUMMY!
That is a LOT of pad thai!
My favorite guest house in Chiang Mai
Back in Bangkok getting bubble tea from our favorite stand!
Coconut icecream in a coconut on the crazy Khaosan Road, Bangkok







































No comments:
Post a Comment