I've been here in Bangkok, Thailand for a wee bit more than three days but it feels like I've lived here for a week and a half or so. I feel surprisingly comfortable navigating the busy/poorly labeled streets here, ordering food and bargaining for goods in Thai, and have gotten used to many of the cultural norms. However, I definitely haven't gotten used to the smog and trash. There is garbage everywhere; piles of unused goods in alleys, plastic bags floating in the Chao Phraya River, and trash in the streets. Honestly, it really hurts my soul and it has taken a lot of self control to not go out to buy a net and skip class to scoop trash out of the river. I try to pick up bits and pieces as I walk around the city.
Some quick observations:
- using squat toilets and bidets definitely has a learning curve but I'm enjoying the challenge
- shoes aren't allowed in a lot of places (like our entire guest house, including the restaurant) and I'm really enjoying being barefoot again so much.
- I am LOVING learning and using Thai. I feel like learning here is 5x more efficient than me learning French all of high school.
- it feels like I'm spending tons of money because of the actual number of paper pieces I've handed out, but really I'm living very frugally. Thai iced tea (the real kind brewed from tea = $1.17). Half kilo of fresh mangosteen = $1. Wonderful
- I've been feeling really good about my breakfasts of fresh dragon fruit, pineapple, papaya, watermelon, cantaloupe, and coconut milk.
- the markets are incredible and huge. They can be very hectic and if you're not careful you'll get ran over by a moped full of eggs and fish heads.
- the cats are super scraggly looking - I don't touch
- Thai massage is wonderful and cheap
- my classmates are awesome and all very interesting. It's going to be a fun group!
- private river taxi drivers like to race haha
- there will be blocks full a single good. Like there is a textile district, mechanical parts districts, guns district, and shoes district. Shop after shop of the same product.
- the heat is refreshing and good for my skin
- I'm having major backcountry ski/ mountain withdrawals
- the food is hot, but I'm getting better
- doing thailand's version of Zumba in the park with a bunch of strangers is AWESOME and very entertaining.
- China town is absolutely nuts here and pretty overwhelming
So far we have:
- gone to a museum of Siam
- gone to many Buddhist temples and paid our respects
- talked about Bangkok's carbon footprint and urban problems
- done lots of urban trekking and navigation
- talked about Thai history, traditions, influences, and language
- taken river boats down the canals of the west side of the city and saw monitor lizards
- partied and shopped
- seen the largest fully gold Buddha and the giant laying down Buddha.
Midday tomorrow we jump on a overnight train and head to a town on the east side of the peninsula to take a boat to the Ang Thong islands for four nights in the Gulf of Thailand. I can't wait to get in the sea!
Street market
Bangkok trash
"Zumba" Thai style in the park
Stoked: Coconut water and Thai pants
The best breakfasts: coconut yogurt with fresh mango, melon, and dragon fruit. Plus seasoned potatoes.
Crazy carp in the river
Thailand's largest laying down Buddha
Our home in Bangkok
Puppies in the mechanic district of Chinatown, Bangkok






















5 comments:
So stoked for your adventures!! Eat durian. Do it. And tell me what you think.
Just don't hang out under a loaded durian tree! Glad you're doing a blog -- love your pics and observations. Was that a weim?
Great captures Rachel. It's fun to see what you have been up to.
This looks awesome!! Can't wait to join you in a couple months! =)
Hey Rachel! This is all wonderful! Good on ya for keeping such a good log of your travels. What class are you taking over there?
Post a Comment